Cannabis Strains for Opioid Addiction
The current opioid epidemic is no joke. It’s only getting worse, instead of getting better. A new report from the Centers of Disease Control just revealed that opioid overdose deaths have spiked 26% in 2016, which translates to 63,600 lost lives.
The fight isn’t over, but science tells us that cannabis is our best weapon against the opioid epidemic. However, not just any kind of cannabis will do. If you want to get the benefits of the plant in treating opioid addiction and withdrawal symptoms, research shows that cannabidiol (CBD) plays an important role. Research published in the journal Planta Medica revealed that CBD blocks the opioid reward center in the brain, and “when administered alone, this dose of cannabidiol was void of rewarding and aversive properties,”; further supporting the fact that cannabis is an exit drug and not a gateway drug as prohibitionists like to say.
Here are some excellent cannabis strains to help you overcome the symptoms of opioid withdrawals. Throw those prescriptions out and get some of these instead:
- Platinum Cookies is the next-generation strain of the infamous Girl Scout Cookies. Platinum Cookies is an award-winning strain blessed by the genetics of Durban Poison, OG Kush, and a third strain that remains unknown. This hybrid strain is applauded for treating emotional and physical ailments especially for those going through intense withdrawals. Platinum Cookies is particularly beneficial for nausea as well as headaches, pain, and migraines.
- Cannatonic is hailed worldwide as one of the best high-CBD strains that make it perfect for virtually any kind of medical patient, including those who are trying to get over an opioid addiction. This hybrid takes on more indica-like properties, which is ideal for those who want to ease into a smooth sedated state and relax. If opioid withdrawals are making you extremely antsy, anxious, and panicky, Cannatonic will calm you down thanks to its potent CBD content. Medicate with Cannatonic day or night for the ultimate relief from symptoms of substance abuse.
- Stephen Hawking Kush is an indica-dominant hybrid with a high CBD content. Stephen Hawking Kush is well-known for its relaxing effects, as well as its powers in treating nausea and pain. Expect an uplifting mellow high after smoking Stephen Hawking Kush, followed by a mental euphoria that erases any anxiety or racing thoughts from your brain, ultimately leaving you feeling blissful and relaxed. Stephen Hawking Kush is recognized for its pain-killing properties, efficacy in treating muscle spasms and mental illness, and overall its calming effects for both mind and body.
- Harlequin is a highly-prized strain, and a rare one to find at that. Harlequin is produced from the genetics of a Columbian Gold, Thai, Swiss landrace and Nepali indica strains; making it one of the most unique out there. Harlequin has a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio, which makes it extremely special especially for those who don’t want to suffer from paranoia and anxiety as a side effect of THC. Harlequin will take you to a state of blissful relaxation, recommended for those who are prone to stress, depression, and panic attacks as an effect of opiate withdrawals. Moreover, this strain is also recommended for patients who enjoy creative and artistic activities since it enhances that part of the brain, encouraging you to distract yourself from withdrawals through the arts.
- Black Lime Special Reserve is a celebrated sativa, the lovechild of an orgy of spectacular strains: Northern Lights, Lime Afghani, Chemdawg Special Reserve, Purple Kush, and Woodman Canyon Oil Can. Given the genetics of this extraordinary strain, you’ll know that you’re in for a special treat. Users report a focused, energetic, and relaxed buzz from this strain. But don’t medicate at night with this one, as it’ll keep you up. This strong sativa is one for medicating with during the day, to give you the energy that you need to pull through withdrawals while feeling blissfully vibrant mentally and physically. Black Lime Special Reserve is hailed for its antidepressant and antianxiety benefits, treating fatigue, and even spasticity. If you’re looking for a special sativa with minimal side effects, Black Lime Special Reserve is the strain for you.
What strains have you used to treat opioid withdrawals? Share with us in your comments below.
OTHER STORIES YOU MAY ENJOY...
CANNABIS FOR OPIATE ADDICTION, LISTEN HERE, CLICK HERE.
CANNABIS FOR OPIATE ADDICTION TAKES OFF, READ HERE...