Cannabis Strains for Tuberculosis
Tuberculosis is an infectious bacterial disease affecting the lungs, which can lead to death if untreated. Also referred to as TB, it’s possible for the disease to spread to the spine, brain, and other parts of the body. Tuberculosis is caused by a bacteria called the mycobacterium tuberculosis, and it’s estimated that around 2 billion people are diagnosed with tuberculosis.
Tuberculosis is contagious since it can spread in the air, in the same way that the common cold and flu does. If a person with TB coughs or sneezes, small bacteria particles can spread in the air and infect another individual when they breathe the air in. However, if you have a strong and healthy immune system, you can effectively fight off tuberculosis. But people with compromised immune systems such as those with diabetes, HIV, AIDS, malnutrition or nutritional deficiencies, cancer, and those undergoing cancer treatment are at higher risk of catching tuberculosis. This also includes young children and infants, since their immune systems aren’t as developed.
Cannabis has been used since historical times to treat tuberculosis in different parts of the world. Even today, cannabis is considered folk medicine for many cultures to treat TB and other conditions. Modern studies on the efficacy of cannabis for tuberculosis started in the 1960’s, which reveal that the drug is beneficial in inhibiting the growth of the TB bacteria and other pathogens. Since then, there have been several other studies proving that cannabis, particularly CBD, is beneficial in treating tuberculosis.
These are the 5 best strains of cannabis for treating TB:
- Charlotte’s Web is a unique high CBD strain originally developed to treat a child named Charlotte Figi, who was suffering from a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet Syndrome. The Stanley Brothers are responsible for creating this genius strain, which has helped save thousands of lives across the world since its inception. Charlotte’s Web is ideal for tuberculosis patients who don’t want to get high, since it only contains 0.5% THC or even less. The very high CBD content of Charlotte’s Web makes it beneficial for tuberculosis as well as a wide range of chronic and acute illnesses.
- Girl Scout Cookies is an excellent hybrid suitable for all kinds of tuberculosis patients, whether you have experience with cannabis or not. In fact, Girl Scout Cookies is regarded as one of the most famous strains of all time especially for its medicinal properties. This strain offers a euphoric and happy high, and it can help tuberculosis patients deal with stress, pain, lack of appetite, insomnia, and depression.
- AC/DC is a sativa-dominant phenotype of Cannatonic, a well-known high CBD strain. What makes AC/DC special is its 1:20 ratio of THC:CBD, which means that it delivers extraordinary healing properties without giving off a psychoactive effect. AC/DC is used to treat epilepsy as well as multiple sclerosis, the side effects of chemotherapy, anxiety, pain, and much more. Some phenotypes of AC/DC have tested with up to 19% THC, which puts this strain at the top of any valuable cannabis strains in terms of medicinal properties.
- Strawberry Cough is a powerful sativa made from the genetics of landrace strains. In some cases, Strawberry Cough strains may have a THC content reaching as high as 18%, but its sativa properties will enable tuberculosis patients to treat fatigue while relaxing the mind. Strawberry Cough is an ideal daytime medication, lending patients much-needed energy combined with a sweet euphoria and uplifted feelings. This strain is also used to treat stress, pain, fatigue, lack of appetite, and depression.
- Blue Dream is a versatile sativa-dominant hybrid that has gained a legendary reputation over the last few years. Patients suffering from tuberculosis and a wide range of ailments appreciate Blue Dream’s potent medicinal properties, its gentle cerebral invigoration without too much sedation. Blue Dream is also known to deliver quick relief for many conditions that tuberculosis patients may be suffering from, including pain, stress, depression, nausea, and insomnia. Blue Dream is a great choice of strain for medicating with during the day. However, its high THC content may take some getting used to. If you aren’t used to medicating with cannabis but are interested in Blue Dream, it is recommended to start off with small doses then gradually increase.