Cannabis Strains For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a disease that causes irregularities in the hormone levels of women. Women with this condition produce higher amounts of male hormones than what is considered normal, resulting in changes in one’s menstrual cycle which makes fertility extremely difficult.
Other symptoms of PCOS include unwanted hair, hair loss, painful periods, pelvic pain, unintentional weight loss or weight gain, acne, fatigue, and an increased risk for high blood pressure and diabetes. Getting pregnant with PCOS is still possible though difficult, but women have to take a cocktail of medications in order to mitigate the symptoms of this condition while trying to increase the odds of pregnancy. And contrary to what its name says, just because you have PCOS doesn’t automatically mean that you have cysts. You may or may not have cysts, but it isn’t a hallmark characteristic of this condition.
1 in every 10 women have PCOS, and it usually affects women of childbearing age. Without proper treatment, PCOS can lead to serious complications later on in life such as infertility, miscarriages, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, abnormal uterine bleeding, depression and anxiety, and many more.
Cannabis has been shown to help treat the symptoms of PCOS. Here are 5 strains that can help you manage it safely and naturally:
- AC/DC is a powerful CBD-rich hybrid known for its potent painkilling properties. With THC levels usually reaching a peak of 6% and CBD levels that can reach as much as 20%, AC/DC is ideal for PCOS sufferers who want to experience little to no psychoactive effects when medicating. This strain is ideal for daytime medication, helping alleviate pain while giving you just the right amount of energy to power through the day.
- Blackberry Kush is an indica-heavy strain perfect for medicating at night, helping you get some good rest especially if PCOS-related pain and discomfort makes it difficult to get sleep. It works fast and effectively at alleviating physical discomfort, while sending your mind into a blissful state of euphoria ensuring relaxation. A little bit of Blackberry Kush goes a long way; it’s extremely potent with an average of 20% THC. Many patients find great relief from this strain’s analgesic and sedative properties, which comes in handy for women with PCOS.
- Pineapple Express is a strain so famous that it’s reached Hollywood proportions. This delicious, tropical strain delivers a potent and energizing high, making it suitable for daytime medication. However, be cautious when medicating with Pineapple Express especially if you’re new to cannabis; it has been known to induce paranoia and headaches in some people. If you’re able to find your sweet dosage spot for this strain, you’ll find that it can help alleviate many of the emotional side effects that come with PCOS such as anxiety and depression. Another added bonus is that Pineapple Express can help rev up your appetite, so if weight loss is one of the symptoms you’re suffering from, this strain will do the job.
- Sour Tsunami is a famous high CBD strain that works wonders as an overall treatment for PCOS. High CBD means you’re getting a lot of its anti-inflammatory goodness, which assists in mitigating PCOS symptoms from the inside out. Use this strain to prevent and treat PCOS-related acne, pain, and painful periods without a high. It can also be used at night for relaxation and unwinding without the couch lock that most high THC strains come with. Sour Tsunami delivers a pleasant body high, and it’s known to alleviate pretty much any kind of pain.
- Mr. Nice is a fairly new cannabis strain that quickly became popular for its stress-busting properties. Named after one of the world’s most notorious cannabis smugglers, whose real name was Howard Marks, this indica-dominant strain has THC levels ranging from 13-16%, making it ideal for novice consumers. It has a delicious hashish flavor that sends you off into a blissful state of relaxation. Many users have also reported that Mr. Nice makes you hungry, which is good for PCOS sufferers who find it difficult to enjoy a good meal due to the discomfort brought on by the condition. Mr. Nice is effective for pain treatment, and it can also help with conditions caused by inflammation, making it another great all-in-one medication for PCOS sufferers.
What are your favorite strains for treating PCOS? Share with us in the comments below!