how to make your own feminized seeds
how to make your own feminized seeds

Become The Breeder - How To Make Your Own Feminized Cannabis Seeds

How do you feminize your marijuana seeds?

Posted by:
Reginald Reefer on Friday Apr 23, 2021

Be The Breeder – How to Make Your Own Feminized Seeds

how to feminize your seeds

The other day I was talking about starting your own seedbank – today we’re going to be taking a closer look at making your own feminized seeds.


Feminized seeds is great because you cut out the odds of getting males – which is counter productive if you’re trying to grow the most potent weed on the planet.


As you can imagine, being able to eliminate males from the get go makes the cost of operations lower. You won’t be wasting light or water or nutrients on an undesirable plant.


Today, we’re going to be taking a closer look at how you can go about making your own feminized seeds


Why Grow Feminized?


As I briefly mentioned above – feminized seeds increases efficiency. People don’t smoke the male plant – but you already knew that didn’t you? And if you didn’t – now you do!


When you have feminized seeds, you have the ability to crop out top flower because the moment when there is a male present – with the ability to pollenate – your fems could get pregnant and stop producing THC.


And we know you want that THC!


If you were to take regular seed – you can expect a ratio of 50/50 meaning 50% will be male whereas 50% will be female.


Feminized seeds shifts the odds in your favor and you will have a 99% chance of getting females and 1% chance of getting a male. We’re not eliminating the male genetics entirely – but 99% is almost perfect so we’ll take it!


The idea behind feminizing plants is that the female plants are forced to produce pollen, which then is used to pollenate other females. This results in almost pure female genetics being passed off to the spawn – and thus – getting females 99% of the time!



Ethylene reduction!


“Applications that reduce the ethylene level in tissues or antagonise the action of ethylene causes the formation of male flowers instead of female ones” — Paraphrase, Byers et al., 1972.


In other words, in order to produce pollen sacks on females you need to use solutions to force this to happen. Some of them include benzothiadiazole, gibberellic acid, silver thiosulphate, silver nitrate, and colloidal silver.

For those of you sitting at home thinking, “How the living hell am I going to get all of that?” Colloidal silver is by far the easiest to source or make.


You can buy it from a pharmacy or get it online with relative ease. The other solutions mentioned are far more difficult to get your hands on and can be dangerous. Nurseries also sell gibberellic acid – which isn’t dangerous but is less effective than colloidal silver.


Using Colloidal Silver


The first and  most recommended option for making your own feminized seeds is using colloidal silver. Colloidal silver is a distilled, water-based solution which contain microscopic particles of silver suspended within the solution.


Colloidal means that these particles will never settle or cannot be removed by normal filtering.


The good thing is that colloidal silver is readily available to purchase, but you can also make your own which we will be talking about later.


When purchasing, you’re going to looking for a strength of 30ppm optimally but at least 15pmm. Lower than this produces male sacs with little viable pollen.


In order to effectively use this solution. You’ll want to get a clone into the flowering stage, or if you’re growing from seed – wait till after the plant is showing you its sex.


Once sexed, begin spraying the colloidal silver everyday, three times a day if you have the time. Soak them good! You’ll want to do this for at least 2 weeks and then, you can leave the plant to grow as it normally does.


When the sexing begins, you’ll quickly notice that the calyxes will begin to produce pollen sacs since males develop quicker than females do. You can expect a viable feminized pollen sack about 4 weeks after sexing.


When this happens, make sure that they aren’t near the other females otherwise they will begin to pollenate the other plants – unless you’re into that sort of thing!


Can You smoke the Colloidal Plant?


Sorry to say, to make a feminized seeded plant – you need to sacrifice the plant. As mentioned, the colloidal silver cannot be filtered, and even rinsing them will not get rid of it. You have to get rid of it entirely.


I wouldn’t even use this for composting. It’s just a write off – but that’s okay since you have obtained what it is you are seeking.


Bottom line


In a next article I’ll talk more about making your own colloidal silver, but for now – I think we can leave it where it is.


It’s far simpler to just buy it but I know there are some hardcore DIY folks out there that want to do this by themselves. For now, I simply hope I managed to inspire you to start your own feminized production! I sure as  hell am after I seed this Gorilla Glue I am breeding.


What about you? Are you going feminized?



new autoflower seeds








What did you think?

ganja leaf left  Keep reading... click here  ganja leaft right

Please log-in or register to post a comment.

Leave a Comment: