Medical Marijuana For Grandma and Grandpa
While the thought of your grandparents getting high might seem funny, more of the elderly are now taking medical marijuana and for good reason.
We still live in an age where there are still numerous misconceptions about marijuana, even for medication. One of the age groups that suffers from a lack of awareness and education are the senior citizens. In fact, they are also the largest age group that can benefit the most from using medical marijuana and testing different marijuana strains.
Once the elderly reach age 65 their risk for several chronic and fatal conditions spikes dramatically. These include cancer, insomnia, chronic pain, Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases, anxiety…. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The typical scenario is that once any of these illnesses manifest themselves, a senior citizen will visit a doctor who will prescribe them with pharmaceutical medicines that often have debilitating side effects that might even lead to death. Prescription painkillers such as Vicodin, OxyContin, and Demerol are among the opiates commonly prescribed to senior citizens; and with these drugs, an accidental overdose has become too easy. According to the American Society of Addiction Medicine, drug overdose deaths are the leading cause of accidental deaths in the United States.
However, the use of medical marijuana can treat these illnesses without the side effects, and even prevent them if used early enough.
Nearly all of us have senior citizens in our lives - loved ones who can benefit from using medical cannabis. These are the most important facts that seniors should know about medical marijuana use:
1. There are many ways to receive the medical benefits of cannabis without getting stoned. Many seniors especially those who have never tried pot even during the hippie revolution of the 60’s and 70’s are still skeptical about marijuana and are afraid about getting high. Dispensaries now offer strains and medical marijuana products that have little to no buzz at all. The CBD compound found in pot is effective in treating inflammation and aches that senior citizens are at high risk for. Marijuana is also beneficial in treating symptoms associated with nausea, arthritis, and other muscular, bone, or joint disorders that are prevalent among the elderly.
2. Medical marijuana is a completely safe alternative to prescription medications, especially painkillers. It’s not uncommon to open your grandmother’s medicine cabinet and find several dozen prescription medicines that they are required to take on a daily basis.
Prescription drugs can lead to overdose but it’s almost impossible to die from an overdose of pot. Marijuana has antioxidant properties that provides relief for several disorders afflicting the elderly such as irritable bowel syndrome, Hepatitis C and so much more, which can eliminate the cocktail of drugs they are taking.
3. Seniors can receive the numerous medical benefits of marijuana without having to smoke. In fact this is one of the biggest misconceptions among the elderly when it comes to using pot. Choose from transdermal patches, delicious edibles, infused candies, beverages, tinctures, and liquid extracts. They can also freely use marijuana in almost any recipe by means of cannabutter or oil, which gives them virtually limitless possibilities for using the herb.
4. Arthritis is one of the most common debilitating illnesses that afflict the elderly. Instead of using prescription medications, cannabis-infused creams and ointments are effective in providing pain relief for back pain and sore joints. These infused creams don’t give a buzz so older people can feel safe using them all day.
5. Senior citizens are prone to losing too much weight and muscle because of appetite loss. Marijuana is useful to induce the “munchies” in them provided that you use the right strain. It can also act as a good appetite stimulant, resulting in better nutrition and improved overall health.
Seniors among the fastest growing demographic of people who are recently discovering the wonders of medical marijuana, simply because it works for them.
Do you have a senior in your life that is currently using medical marijuana? What is their experience like? Share with us in the comments below.
OR CHECK THIS OUT...