5 Incredible Benefits Of CBD For Your Brain
Cannabidiol or CBD is one of the most famous components in cannabis. It’s been making headlines the past few years for its revolutionary ability to treat a wide range of ailments, including conditions that don’t respond well to conventional medicine. Many feel that CBD may be the supplement of the future because of its powerful ability to heal and restore wellness without the psychoactive properties of the THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in cannabis.
Studying the human brain is a gargantuan task, to say the least. There is always something new to be learned, especially when it comes to how cannabis interacts with it, along with our emotions and various cognitive functions. Dr. Raphael Mechoulam first made breakthroughs back in the 1960’s when he and his Israeli team were successfully able to identify THC and CBD. This was soon followed by their discovery of the endocannabinoid system, the system that interacts with the cannabinoids in the cannabis plant. They found that the endocannabinoid system has several receptors found throughout the body, particularly in the human brain.
Let’s take a look at the incredible science-backed ways that CBD benefits the brain:
- Regulates pain perception: Our brain is responsible for more than just our thoughts or actions, it also controls how we perceive pain. The central nervous system is linked to the brain, in fact we first sense pain in our nerves. The nerve cells the transmit information to the brain cells, letting us know that we are experiencing pain. In order to relieve pain, our body sends more information through the opioid system, the area that directly controls pain while improving our mood.
The human opioid system is made up of three peptides known as endorphins, enkephalis, and dynorphins. These are all responsible for improving our mental state and pain. Opioids are usually controlled by dangerous pharmaceutically-made opioids, which is why they’re effective in reducing discomfort from pain BUT at the price: opioids are addictive and can be fatal.
However, CBD provides the exact same benefits to our opioid system, thereby reducing feelings of pain without the side effects. CB2 receptors also stimulate the peptides, delivering effective pain relief while lifting our mood.
- Increases serotonin levels: The CB receptors in the brain improve the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that we need to stay healthy mentally and emotionally. When your brain produces adequate serotonin, you’re healthier and happier. On the other hand, a lack of serotonin leads to anxiety disorders and depression.
Serotonin is also essential for regulating sleep, boosting your mood and memory, improving sexual desire, and increasing your appetite. Serotonin is increased through the 5-HT1A receptors, which are found throughout the body. , this is why CBD is so effective in treating not just physical ailments, but mental disorders including depression, anxiety, and CBD.
- Increases dopamine: Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is well-known for improving our reward perception. Our dopamine levels increase when we eat delicious food, or have great sex. It’s tied to that euphoric feeling after, and it’s also the same reason cannabis makes us feel euphoric thanks to THC, but CBD can do that as well.
CBD is helpful in treating depression, which occurs when the brain lacks in dopamine as well as other necessary pleasure receptors. When you activate dopamine by taking CBD, this results in experiencing heightened pleasure, thus treating depression. But CBD doesn’t work directly to do this; it acts on the 5-HT1A receptor to do so. Most antidepressant medications work by increasing dopamine, but with harmful side effects. CBD does the same thing safely; it’s no surprise why more people are turning to CBD to balance out mental ailments.
- Protects the brain: CBD is a neuroprotectant because it protects the brain from the effects of aging. Other factors such as a lifetime of consuming alcohol can also contribute to loss in neuron activity. These are just some of the brain-related causes that lead to Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.
CBD influences the activity within the hippocampus, a part of the brain responsible for regulating short and long-term memory. When Alzheimer’s creeps in, the hippocampus is the first part of the brain to suffer damage, and this is why patients have memory loss. CBD also helps to create new neurons that enhance the strength of the hippocampus.
- Decreases inflammation in the brain: Brain inflammation leads to several serious and often difficult to treat conditions such as meningitis. Swelling in the brain or spinal cord, or a bacterial infection, can also lead to brain inflammation. Without treatment, brain inflammation can be fatal and lead to death.
CBD has been shown to be effective in in the brain thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties which help with strengthening the immune system. CB2 receptors are widespread in the immune system, and when CBD attaches to these receptors, it inhibits the transmission of brain cells and immune cells, reducing inflammation in the brain.
Do you need more reason to start supplementing with CBD today? How has CBD helped you mentally?
OTHER STORIES YOU MAY ENJOY...