How to make Cannabis Butter
There are way too many different ways make cannabis butter and it would be hard to tell which would be the best. As with all recipes, best would be to experiment until you find what best works for you.
But first, why Cannabis butter? Simply, because butter tastes good! Cannabis butter is a great way to get what you need to relieve pain in the easiest bite-size portions. Cannabis butter can be used to replace butter in any other recipe you would want to use. Before getting to the recipe, let us look first why cannabis butter would be good for you and what purpose does it have?
Benefits of Cannabis Butter
Not everyone is a recreational user of cannabis. There is many that use cannabis for medicinal purposes, and many of them prefer edibles to smoking because of the health risk of smoking, and because they might just not be smokers. Cannabis butter is one of those edibles that are very effective and relatively easy to make.
Cannabis butter, also known as Cannabutter or “budder”, is butter based and infused with beneficial cannabinoids. It can be made by using the remains of the plant that usually get thrown out. This method would leave a not too potent product. It is also much tastier than the whole plant. The more potent cannabis butter is made from buds or bud leaves high in resin. Never make it to hot or over boil, because the beneficial substances will be lost. Cannabutter is ideal for preparing cannabis infused food. It can be used to bake with, or it can be used as a spread.
Our body has its own endocannabinoid system that regulates many functions in the body. The body produces also its own cannabinoids, but if we are sick, stressed or living in high polluted areas, our body needs help. Using cannabinoid infused food, such as cannabis butter, our body has a chance to regulate itself and replace the cannabinoids we lack to be healthy.
Cannabis butter can be used to replace butter in any recipe. How much to use, depends on your own experience. It is always wise to start with small amount and to gradually increase it until the desired effect is reached.
How to make it
Cannabis butter is common and maybe one of the more simple ways to make cannabis infused products. But don’t be fooled, it can be a bit tricky. The THC has to be properly decarboxylate – change from its acid form to its psychoactive form. In order to do this, it has to be heated over a low heat for a long period of time. One way this gets done is by spreading the grinded cannabis on a sheet and put in the oven for 15 minutes, baking it in a very low heat.
For the purpose of making the butter, it is good to use a slow-cooker or it can be made on the stove, but cooked slowly over a low heat. For the purpose of this article, both methods will be explained.
1 lb. unsalted butter
1 cup water (add more at any time if needed)
1 ounce ground cannabis flower or 1 ½ ounce quality trim (This amount will leave potent butter, if you desire less potent butter, lower the content)
Top Stove Method
- Add one cup of water and 1 lb. of butter in pot or sauce pan. Let the butter melt and begin to simmer on low. Adding water helps to regulate temperature and help the butter from not burning
- As butter starts melting, add ground cannabis
- Keep the heat low and let the mixture simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Prevent the butter from boiling.
Slow Cooker Method
- Turn slow cooker on low and add 1 cup of water, 1 lb. of butter and ground cannabis
- Cover slow cooker with lid and let simmer on low for 8 to 24 hours. It can be stirred occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more potent it would be and the more cannabinoids would be infused.
For Both Methods:
- After simmering the desired time, pour mixture into a glass-refrigerator safe container, using a strainer. Like cheese cloth, or very fine mesh, to strain out all plant products.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight until butter is hardened. When hard, the butter will separate from the water. Lift out of water, and left it to soften in room temperature. Do not use microwave to soften butter.
The recipes above can always be doubled to make more cannabis butter. It is also good to use high quality unsalted butter, as it has less water content and would render a better product.
As mentioned before, there is no perfect way to make cannabis infused butter; there is only your way. Best is to experiment until you find your perfect way.