Top 5 Cannabis Strains for ADD/ADHD
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is one of the most common mental illnesses that cannabis has proven effective in treating. Characterized by impulsivity, short attention spans, distractability, and hyperactivity, ADD can make it difficult to live a normal life without the proper treatment. There are also co-occurring disorders that are common in individuals with ADD, including bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, and OCD.
Prescription medicines for ADD often have terrifying side effects including addiction, appetite loss, blurred vision, fever, and more. This is why more patients of ADD are turning to cannabis.
If you are looking to use cannabis as treatment for ADD, these are the top 5 most recommended strains:
- Northern Lights is a famous indica strain that originated from the Pacific North West. This inbred Afghani strain has a light and bright citrusy flavor, while the smoke leaves a delicious pine aftertaste. Patients of ADD love Northern Lights for its ability to deliver a euphoric yet relaxed feeling, especially those who suffer from depression and anxiety as a co-occurring disorder. This strain is ideal to help those with ADD get a good night’s sleep without a heavy feeling the following day. Northern Lights is best used at the end of the day or before bed, to help you unwind even if you medicate with a sativa or hybrid during the day. Northern Lights is also used to help manage patients suffering from lack of appetite, depression, stress, pain, and insomnia.
- Sour Diesel is a popular sativa-dominant hybrid whose pungent flowers make for a delicious lemony, skunky, and piney smoke. Just a few puffs of Sour Diesel are all you need to get rid of irritability, hyperactivity, and short attention spans. Many users report that Sour Diesel has long-lasting effects, making it a recommended strain for patients of ADD who need to medicate with a potent sativa during the day. Sour Diesel is also an excellent energizing and uplifting strain, making it ideal for medicating anytime that you feel you need a little boost. Sour Diesel is also recommended for patients who suffer from headaches, stress, pain, depression, and fatigue.
- Tahoe OG Kush is a wonderful hybrid for patients suffering from ADD. The flowers have a great earthy smell and a smooth piney undertone. Consuming even small amounts of Tahoe OG Kush will help you feel positive, relaxed, giggly, and uplifted; in some cases even hungry which is ideal for patients who are recovering from weaning off pharmaceutical medications that caused appetite loss. Strong doses of OG Kush can result in a couch lock, so medicate moderately until you’re used to it. Tahoe OG Kush is best for nighttime medication; helping you unwind after a long day especially since ADD can leave you feeling exhausted from all the mental activity. Tahoe OG Kush is also used to treat insomnia, depression, stress, and pain.
- Purple Urkle has a bright flowery, fruity, and sweet aroma that can help promote sleep. Many patients of ADD suffer from an inability to get a good night’s sleep, and if you are one of them, this strain is for you. It will relax you from head to toe, calming those thoughts that end up making you feel irritable and uneasy. Purple Urkle is a fast-acting strain so you can expect quick relief so be sure to be at the comforts of your own home when medicating with Purple Urkle. This strain also works wonders for treating pain, depression, nausea, and stress.
- Master Kush is a well-loved hybrid among ADD patients because it’s a mellow, relaxing indica-dominant strain. It has a sweet, earthy smell with light citrus undertones and an overall smooth smoke, making it a pleasure to medicate with. Medicating with Master Kush leaves you feeling uplifted while releasing any feelings of anxiety or stress, and effectively calming down both body and mind. If you feel like engaging in creative activities to help reduce the symptoms of ADD, this strain is highly recommended. Master Kush will lull you into a delicious state of drowsiness after a few hours, making it ideal for evening relaxation and falling into a sweet state of slumber. Master Kush is also an excellent strain for treating pain, nausea, stress, and depression.
What are your favorite strains for treating ADD?